Tuesday, January 20, 2015

10 Software Tools For More PhD Productivity And Less Headaches

10 Software Tools that have helped my PhD

 Ever since I started my research I have been into tech gadgets so that I could do things better and sometimes differently than others. Here are a few of the tools I have been using during my PhD

MS One Note

It is worth everything to have your research organized. I often see evernote buzzed across blogs but I find One note serve my purpose just fine without paying extra penny (PAYING EXTRA is always student nightmare). I have organized my stuff on a month to month basis. with each page section for a particular assignment and role. It can keep me off the headache of opening multiple word excel or visio files to see what I have been doing.
Besides I can locate any information any time.

MS Word

Whenever I write a manuscript I write main structure and scribble in Onenote. Afterwards I can easily export it and do the final touches for a presentable manuscript.

MS PowerPoint

All research requires presenting ideas and themes in the tribe.  MS powerpoint has served me well.

Origin

The data taken in most formats can be analyzed and made presentable using a good analysis software. Origin conforms well with excel and most data types I have encountered so far. So bravo ORIGIN.

G mail the Mailbox

Reliable or not reliable since i made my account after invite from a friend I moved to google and never let go.

Backup/share/DROPBOX

Mostly gmail gives enough space to share files and I use Google drive as well. However Dropbox has been the prime for fast syncing of my mendeley library and other characterization files to avoid any disaster.

Web browser

It has all the addons I ever needed. I am happy with it as it provides multitude of options when I am accessing papers and other stuff. bulk downloading, ad blocking  and many other features have me hooked with firefox for a long time

Mendeley & Citavi

Search journals and topics through scholar Google and import via Citavi. Auto import pdf to Mendeley.

Google calender with Any.Do

 keep track of what you need to do and what part is can be taken care of latter on

My lovely Galaxy S III

 All the videos and photos, not to forget the audio recording of lectures is done by my smart phone. Accessing everything via my lovely GS III


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book mentioned by Imran Khan about Lost Islamic History

Imran Khan in his tweet today mentioned reading books about Islam. I really appreciate a Pakistani PM actively quoting Islamic on internati...