Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Citation manager nightmare

Citation manager nightmare

Hoping you folks are in good health.
How many times just hours before a deadline a software glitch has taken your blood pressure to the sky? I am sure it has happened to you in as well, in fact it is a norm which we come across every now and then.
When it comes to citation managers for my research Mendeley has been my favourite but it has now given me the second scare.
After the update last night it stopped showing its beautiful interface instead became zombified with a message to each of the citations. ulmost locking me out. trauma set in and I had to uninstal it amid fears that all the work might be lost.
Here is the important part, when you have to use a citation manager it has to be with useful community logs about possible problems and how to get around them. In past I have used Zotero and endnote and citavi.The kind of response I got from the forums with dead ends and mostly non conclusive replies by the MENDELEY agent is the most horrible of them all [combined].
After uninstalling, I got installer from a life saver friend  [Me and my habbits:-( I had deleted the used up setup)] who had a previous version and did not instal the new one for some time. The software again asks the QUESTION; UPDATE OR PERISH.
with a warning your data would not be saved
haaa haaaaaaaa
I had no other option left but to update AGAIN.
Long story short; I have my mendeley back.
Now the lesson, I learn here were
  1. Always keep a setup of important softwares DO NOT DELETE right after use, you can keep them in a ready to delete folder instead of deleting 
  2. Keep database logged up and backed up ALWAYS
  3. Keep a secondary program in sight, with comparable functionality , just in case nothing works out between you and your beloved software.
  4.  Dont leave everything till the deadline HOURS. :-|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book mentioned by Imran Khan about Lost Islamic History

Imran Khan in his tweet today mentioned reading books about Islam. I really appreciate a Pakistani PM actively quoting Islamic on internati...